Posture plays an important role in the good health of your joints, muscles, and bones. When you’re pregnant, being able to maintain a good posture is harder as your baby develops and becomes heavier. Dr Vicki Ferreira shares how certain exercises can help improve posture in pregnant women and as a result reduce inflammation otherwise cause from pressure on the joints.
Your Chiropractor advises on being mindful during pregnancy
While it’s easy to forget your posture as your belly grows and your baby becomes heavier, an important thing is to try to be mindful. Mindfulness about your posture will help you to sit, stand, and move with care.
Sitting during pregnancy
As a woman, you’d automatically sit with your legs crossed in one way or the other. The opposite is correct for pregnant women. As pressure on the pelvic floor intensifies while the belly expands, you should opt to sit with your legs apart. This allows the muscles and ligaments’ to relax. Furthermore practice these while sitting:
- Keep your spine in an “S” curve instead of a “C”
- Keep feet firmly on the floor with thighs parallel to the floor
- Thighs, shoulders, and neck must remain relaxed
Exercise during pregnancy
- Squats – squatting exercises are good for releasing pressure. When squatting, just make sure that the weight is over your knees and not leaning forward. Some people may find that squatting can ease labour pains and help induce labour.
- Pelvic rocking – Using a pilates ball, allow it to support you as you rock your pelvis back and forth. This can also be done on all fours (as seen in the cow/cat pose in yoga). This exercise will loosen pelvic muscles and help for an easier labour.
Standing during pregnancy
When standing and you have a wall to support, you can gently lean against the wall ensuring that your shoulder blades are touching the wall and that your back isn’t slumped.
Your chiropractor in Centurion can help
Have you ever considered seeing a chiropractor to help you improve your posture during your pregnancy?
Pre-natal chiropractic is a treatment that will help keep your pelvic muscles in optimal and balanced shape before and during your pregnancy. This is essential for vaginal births, but also to help feel more relaxed, comfortable, and energized throughout your pregnancy.
Contact your chiropractor to book your consultation. For all Online Bookings please click here to make a booking NOW
Other articles that might interest you!
- Chiropractor in Centurion Treats Lower Back Pain in Pregnant Women
- Joint Restrictions: is your spine moving the way it should?
- Importance of Your Back and Muscle Functions from your chiropractor Dr. Vicki Ferreira
- Is Chiropractic Treatment Safe After Surgery
- Hip Flexor Strain: How a Professional Chiropractor can help YOU!
- 6 Ways To Minimize Aches And Strains: Tips from Dr. Vicky Ferreira
- Chiropractic For Preventative Care: How your Chiropractor can help YOU
- Did you Know that Chiropractic Treatment can Benefit Children
Leave us your comment