Chiropractic in Centurion
Chiropractic is a primary spine care profession that focuses on the diagnosis, treatment and management of neuro-musculoskeletal system (NMS) and recognizes the relationship between general health and NMS health. Chiropractic is a natural, complementary/alternative, hands-on, drug free, surgery free approach to health.
Chiropractors have extensive knowledge of human anatomy, more specifically the spine and nervous system. Your spine consists of 24 individual moveable vertebrae, connected by muscles and ligaments. Although the vertebrae are separate, they function as one dynamic unit. A pair of spinal nerves exits between each vertebra. These spinal nerves come from the spinal cord and run along the length of the spine. Each spinal nerve supplies a specific part of the body, including specific muscles and organs.
Chiropractors focus on the normal and abnormal biomechanics of all joints throughout the body from both gross movement and specific segmental movement. Chiropractors thus detect areas, both gross and segmental levels, which are not moving as freely as they should (immobility). This could irritate the spinal nerves by either direct pressure or through indirect stimulation/irritation, resulting in symptoms such as neck and back pain, muscle spasms or pain down the arms or legs.
Everyday activities that place strain on your body can cause the vertebrae to fixate (when a vertebra or joint loses its normal position and motion).
This can include:
- Physical causes such as acute trauma to the body, repetitive motion, bad postural habits, workstation design errors, weak or imbalanced musculature, etc.
- Chemical causes such as poor dietary and nutritional practices, drug and alcohol use/abuse, and the ingestion of chemical toxins in the foods you eat, air you breath and water you drink.
- Emotional causes refer to excessive stress or inadequate stress management skills.
How does a chiropractor correct a fixation?
Chiropractors perform a high velocity, low amplitude adjusting technique to the affected joint/s. Chiropractors spend 4 years learning and perfecting these techniques in order to be as specific as possible. The main function of a chiropractic adjustment is to “gap” the joint in order to release the impingement or expingement of the synovial fold, resulting in decreased pressure on the nerve root. Following a chiropractic adjustment, the joint is restored to its normal position and is able to function optimally, allowing the nerves to function optimally as well.
Other effects of a chiropractic adjustment include:
- Increased active and passive range of motion
- Reduction in pain
- Increased skin pain tolerance
- Release of entrapped meniscoids and synovial folds
- Reduction in muscle electrical activity and tension
- Chiropractors also incorporate non-invasive treatment procedures to complement the treatment. Should it be indicated, the chiropractor will refer the patient to other medical and surgical practitioners.
Who can benefit from a Chiropractor in Centurion?
Anybody with a spine can benefit from chiropractic, from babies to the grandparents.
- Office workers who spend a lot of time in front of a computer. The combination of computer work and bad postural habits often results in neck and/or back pains and aches.
- Athletes who are constantly striving to improve their performance. Chiropractic helps to prevent injury.
- The elderly is more prone to developing spinal aches and pains due to years of wear and tear on the body.
- Pregnant women who commonly complain about back pains as the pregnancy progresses.
- Babies and Children who suffer from spinal problems as they grow older and their nervous systems adapt. Babies presenting with mechanically induced colic also benefit from chiropractic.